Any package that is irregular (not a square/rectangle box) or otherwise requires extra care or special handling as determined by the courier can be subject to Additional Handling or Extra Care fees.
If the courier determines that a fee is applicable based on the criteria below, it will appear as a shipping adjustment on your final receipt. If no fees are assessed by the courier, then no additional fees will be applied. 😀
Surcharges can be applied by couriers for any of the following reasons:
- If the package is routed through irregular package sortation which can include packages marked "Fragile" or "This Side Up" or are less than 1" in height.
- If the package cannot enter the conveyor system or otherwise requires Extra Care due to size, weight or irregularity.
- Packages not fully encased in corrugated cardboard - like tires, canvas, leather, metal, wood, bins made of plastics or styrofoam.
- The package is "irregular" like a guitar case or a cylindrical-like shape like a mailing tube, barrel, bucket, can or drum.
- The package is soft-sided (like a bubble mailer) and over 18" in length.
- The package is wrapped or covered in stretch or shrink wrap.
- The package is bound with metal, plastic or cloth banding.
- It has wheels, handles, straps or any other part protruding outside of the container.
- It's overweight: More than 50lbs (Domestic shipment) or more than 70lbs (International)
- The Length + Girth exceeds 105". (Girth is the Height x 2 + Width x 2 🤓)
- If the longest side of the package (Length) exceeds 48" or the second-longest side (Width) exceeds 30".
Additional Handling fees are applied per package for both domestic and international shipments.
Examples of "irregular" packages:
Nerd Alert! Measure at the widest points and always round up!
Packages are measured by the couriers using scanners which capture the widest points of each dimension. For example, a bulging or bowed box will measure greater at the bulge than at the fold.